What is Appreciative Coaching?
Appreciative Coaching is a revelatory and generative conversation that enlivens, amplifies, and sustains the positive core – source of the energy and intelligence of life – of both client and coach. This relationship cultivates new possibilities, health and fulfillment, accelerating us to our highest and deepest good.
What is Appreciative Inquiry Coaching Training© (AICT)?
This 5-day course will comprise a full Appreciative Inquiry into our collective experience of Appreciative Inquiry and Coaching. Together we will explore and experience each of the 5 D’s as it relates to one-on-one relationships. The practicum, which participants will submit for certification, will embody “Destiny” as you apply the lessons taught during this course.
The Appreciative Inquiry Coaching Training is not a problem-solving coaching approach, rather it looks at discovering and co-constructing the client’s positive core – what it is that connects them to life, energy, and possibility and allows them to thrive. Through the affirmative framework of Appreciative Inquiry, discover how to deepen and enhance both your personal sense of yourself as well as your skills for generative one-on-one conversations.
Individuals who participate in all 5 days of the AICT and complete & submit a practicum are eligible for certification as an Appreciative Coach. Practicums must be completed within one year of the AICT attended.
This Training is Designed For:
- Individuals who understand and embody a strengths-based AI paradigm, who want to deepen their ability to relate one-on-one in bringing out the best in individuals (including themselves). It is therefore useful to leaders, managers, consultants, coaches, facilitators, educators, pastors/priests, etc;
- Experienced Appreciative Inquiry Facilitators who would like to practice and improve their one-on-one communication skills;
- Seasoned coaches who seek to strengthen their life-enriching ways of coaching.
Prerequisites for this Advanced Level Training Include:
- Have successfully completed an Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training and submitted (or are in the process of submitting) your practicum; or
- Have attended an International Coaching Federation accredited course within the past 2 years or hold a commensurate professional coach training qualification. or
- Participated in an Appreciative Inquiry Foundations course (with a minimum of 26 classroom hours) and have submitted documentation of your experience while on your AI journey to a panel of AI practitioners from the Center for Appreciative Inquiry to review. Learn more about AICT Application Process here.
Training Schedule and Hours
This Appreciative Inquiry coaching course is highly experiential – each participant pairs up with a coachee and a coach to practice and experience the skills demonstrated by the trainers. Each practice session ends with time for reflection and discussion. Your trainers will provide theoretical input (supported by audio-visual material) to enhance your experience.
- Experiencing Appreciative Coaching: inquire into the essence of ‘Appreciative Coaching’ by learning from our own collective best experiences of when Appreciative Inquiry, and coaching, is at its best.
DAYS TWO to FIVE INCLUDE EXPERIENCING ALL THE D’s:
- DEFINING the Positive Topic: Devote ourselves to Defining the Topic as well as establishing a coaching agreement (or multi-level ‘contract’) with the client. We will also touch on coaching topics such as active listening and re-framing.
- DISCOVERY into the Topic: Learn to facilitate an evolving discovery of the client’s Positive Core and its implications for the future while maintaining the client’s focus on the ‘ideal future’.
- DREAMING a Preferred Future: Learn to create powerful metaphors and images of the client’s Positive Core
- DESIGNING a Provocative Proposition: Convert the client’s vision into a roadmap by constructing powerful provocative propositions that are bold, affirmative, and provoke action.
- DESTINY: Explore living into the preferred future through on-going discovery, dream and design.
To become certified by the Center for Appreciative Inquiry as an Appreciative Coach, you will participate in an Appreciative Inquiry Coaching Training © (AICT) and then complete a Supervised Practicum and Narrative Summary. The Supervised Practicum and Narrative Summary must be completed within one year of the AICT you attend. Your AICT Trainer(s) will be available by email and/or phone for free consultations throughout your Practicum.
We start each day on time and work diligently to maintain the schedule, honoring the commitment to the learning experience. We have found full participation to be the most productive for the participants and the trainers. To obtain a letter of completion (and to be eligible for consideration for certification) each participant must complete 30 training hours. Days one through five begin at 8:30 a.m. for networking. The training sessions will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. and end at 4:30 p.m. each day. Each day has a morning and afternoon session; a morning and afternoon break; and lunch.