As helping professionals, our conversations are instrumental in our work with clients. They can support our clients in moving into a place of curiosity, creativity, and connection or in staying stuck in a place of fear, blame, or shame. This lunchtime series distills the fundamental Appreciative Inquiry principles down to two simple practices: generative questions and positive framing. Together we will explore easy strategies and applications for turning all of your conversations with clients into ones worth having.
This highly experiential virtual series is built upon Berrett Kohler’s bestseller, Conversations Worth Having: Using Appreciative Inquiry to Fuel Productive and Meaningful Engagement by Cheri Torres and Jackie Stavros.
MODULE: 1: THE POWER OF CONVERSATION
PURPOSE: Understand the nature of our conversations, how they affect our body/mindsets, and develop your ability to recognize where you are at.
- Understand the neuroscience of conversation.
- Recognize and experience the power of our words and conversations.
- Practice priming your body/mindset for Conversations Worth Having using the ‘Tuning In’ strategy: Pause, Breathe, and Get Curious.
MODULE: 2: THE ART OF ASKING QUESTIONS
PURPOSE: Understand the basics of Appreciative Inquiry and improve your ability to ask generative questions to support clients in moving towards their goals.
- Experience the nature of conversations and its effects on your and others.
- Understand the different types of listening in order to prime for curiosity and connections.
- Recognize a generative question.
- Practice using generative questions to shift the tone and direction of a conversation.
MODULE: 3: INTENTIONAL FRAMING
PURPOSE: Use positive framing to reorient your focus to what wants to be created and continue to develop your ability to ask generative questions.
- Experience flipping negative conversations to Conversations Worth Having.
- Use flipping to frame problems and issues.
- Practice using generative questions as they relate to positive framing using the flipping technique.
MODULE: 4: STRATEGIES TO SHIFT AND FEEDFORWARD
PURPOSE: Develop additional strategies for shifting your body/mindset and practice approaching your work as a wellbeing professional using a growth mindset.
- Explore additional strategies to shift from ‘protect’ to ‘connect’.
- Adopt a growth mindset.
- Understand the difference between feedback and feedforward.
- Practice integrating material using the lens of growth mindset and feedforward.