CREATE MEANINGFUL ENGAGEMENTS THAT SHAPE THE FUTURE
We live and work in an environment in which change, and transformation are the norm, not the exception. The need to grow and flourish requires all human systems (large or small) to learn and adapt. As Appreciative Inquiry practitioners, we support individuals, groups, organizations, and communities to examine their strengths and explore. The Advanced Level Certification will take you on an experiential journey to enhance your practice by building upon your strengths.
To be of service to individuals, groups, organizations, and communities, consultants need to know and develop flexible processes that meet the desired outcomes of their clients. This course is for those who work to give human systems the internal capacity to embrace and profit from inevitable changes in the environment.
“Our whole approach to working with organizations has been transformed by our learning through the Center for Appreciative Inquiry. We specialize in strategic planning, board development, and grant writing for nonprofit organizations and enjoy incorporating AI into our work.”
The Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner Training (AIPT) certification course will take you on an experiential, insight-oriented journey to heighten how you work with individuals, groups, organizations, and communities to examine possibilities and be the best that they can be.
In this highly experiential workshop, participants will become immersed in the practice of facilitating clients in identifying what gives life to their human systems in ways that build agile, adaptive, and innovative organizations. Participants will be encouraged to share their experiences and participate in dialogues drawn from their actual experiences while in the field.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
This advanced course has been developed to enhance the professional careers of individuals who have a grounding in Appreciative Inquiry; who are engaged in implementing AI initiatives in group, business, government, non-profit organizations, and communities; and who are ready to move to the next level.
During the AIPT, participants will advance and deepen their skills in:
- Master the ability to build relationships and create an environment of trust, respect, and collaboration with the organizations you serve.
- Become familiar with the elements of organizational culture and learn how unleashing the power of culture can facilitate success.
- Deepen your understanding and application of foundational Appreciative Inquiry processes and principles.
- Build your understanding of a stakeholder engagement and enhance your ability to work with your clients to identify key organizational stakeholders.
- Effectively apply Appreciative Inquiry tools to facilitate organizational transformation and participative change.
- Develop your knowledge of organizational systems through systems thinking to assist your clients in reaching their goals.
- Enhance your effectiveness by applying the insight gained from professionally oriented instruments and discussions which impact consulting success.
To enroll in this advanced Appreciative Practitioner course, the follow is required:
- Successful completion of the Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training© (AIFT) or a course equivalent to it with the earned certification. The equivalent course must be reviewed in advance.
- Facilitation of a minimum of four (4) Appreciative Inquiry engagements.
- Commitment to complete all asynchronous work, attendance of synchronous sessions, mentoring sessions and community practice.
- Complete and submit AIPT Admission Application. A non-refundable Admission Application fee of $500.00 USD is due upon submission. If application is accepted, the application fee will be applied to the cost of the AIPT registration.
- Schedule and participate in a virtual interview to discuss your admission application and your experience with Appreciative Inquiry.
The Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner Training (AIPT©) consists of 33 hours of synchronous (live sessions hosted through Zoom) and asynchronous (assigned reading and activities outside of class time) learning over the course of 6 months. Participants will need to complete the program in its entirety to be eligible to earn the Appreciative Inquiry Advanced Practitioner Certification, including all synchronous sessions.
Please note: the synchronous portions of the AIPT are highly experiential and will not be recorded. The AIPT Trainers will be utilizing breakout rooms to develop the community and trust among the participants, paired interviews, and small group discussions and reflections.
PART 1: LECTURES
Part 1 of the Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner Training (AIPT) will focus on enhancing foundational Appreciative Inquiry skills which will result in greater breadth and depth of understanding. Click the session titles below to learn more about each session’s overview and learning outcomes.
To ensure all participants are off to a strong start, the AIPT trainers host a live Orientation. The Orientations begins the community of practice, giving participants the opportunity to connect with the trainers and participants, engage in the course overview, become familiar with LearnDash (our online learning platform), and ask questions about reading and activities prior to Session 1.
SETTING THE STAGE FOR A SUCCESSFUL ENGAGEMENT: DEVELOPING AN APPRECIATIVE CONSULTANT MINDSET
Making a positive first impression and asking questions to clearly hear the dreams behind your client’s story is a skill which is foundational to building a trusting and client relationship. As a consultant, you are a Guide who will support your client in their transformation and provide encouragement as they do the work of building an organization which embodies their values and aspirations.
- Create a learning community to build the foundation for our synchronous and asynchronous journey.
- Identify and become familiar with the key preparatory leader and organizational activities which will lay the foundation for a successful engagement.
- Learn how to enhance your professional relationships by understanding the elements of trust.
- Enhance your appreciative consultant mindset by greater focus on the questions we ask.
SYSTEM TRANSFORMATION: UNDERSTANDING HOW APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY INVITES SYSTEMS CHANGE
Systems Thinking is a way of seeing and talking about reality that helps us better understand and work with groups to influence the quality of our lives. When leaders develop the capacity to understand how elements interact within and among systems, and can then communicate these observations effectively, tremendous change is possible both personally and organizationally. Systems Thinkers believe that our actions create our reality, and we have the power to change that reality. This insight will lead to organizational transformation and greater openness to possibilities.
- Explore Systems Thinking and its relationship to Appreciative Inquiry.
- Understand how Systems Thinking facilitates development of competencies of a learning organization.
- Learn a Systems Mapping process and how this tool brings visibility to the dynamics and interrelationships of the many systems inside an organization.
- Discuss opportunities to apply Systems concepts as we work with our clients.
UNCOVERING ASPIRATION: GUIDING CLIENTS TO SEE THE POSSIBILITIES THROUGH STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
It is important to leverage the knowledge, wisdom, and experience of key influencers in a change initiative to help guide the activity to a successful outcome; however, many leaders miss the opportunity to mine this wisdom. Enlisting the support of stakeholders, people internal and external who will affect the initiative, will provide visibility to their hopes and aspirations for the organization. This generates the energy and creativity that is so essential for positive transformation.
- Learn how to work with clients to conduct a thorough Stakeholder Analysis. The method will include the following steps: Planning the Process, Selecting and Defining a Policy, Identifying Key Stakeholders, Adapting Tools, Collecting and Recording the Information, Analyzing and Using the Information.
- Develop skills through case study and real-time examples.
ENHANCING YOUR TOOLKIT – USING SOAR TO CREATE A STRENGTH-BASED STRATEGY
The SOAR approach is used to identify and focus on existing strengths and opportunities rather than zeroing in on problems, weaknesses, and threats. When we apply SOAR, the challenges experienced by an organization are not ignored; instead, they are reframed to look at what might be possible.
- Develop deeper understanding of SOAR and how it differs from problem-focused strategic planning approaches.
- Understand how to SOAR using the 5-I Approach.
- Apply SOAR using Case Study and real-time examples.
APPRECIATING COMMUNICATION STYLES – THE KEY TO EFFECTIVE CONSULTING
To maximize your personal strengths and enhance your professional skills, it is helpful to understand the styles of communication. Social Style will be used as a tool which will help you gain insight about your behavior and the behavior of others. Our Style is determined by observable “say and do” behavioral habits we develop over our lifetimes.
Once you understand a person’s typical behavior, you can predict how they might act most of the time and this can help you build better and more productive relationships. Social Style can serve as a foundation for building on your strengths and the strengths of others to develop productive, positive relationships.
- Understand why you find some relationships more productive than others.
- Develop insight about your behavioral strengths and opportunities.
- Better understand the behavior of other people.
- Develop a way of communicating with others that considers their behavioral needs and preferences.
- Build on your strengths and the strengths of others to develop productive, positive relationships.
EMBRACING THE POSSIBILITIES BY CULTIVATING APPRECIATIVE INTELLIGENCE
Appreciative Intelligence is the ability to perceive the positive inherent generative potential in the present. As Appreciative Inquiry consultants, we can help our clients by facilitating processes that use positive and powerful processes to identify what is working well today and imagining could be possible in the future. By enhancing our Appreciative Intelligence skills, we can inspire hope in our professional and personal lives.
- Become familiar with the construct of Appreciative Intelligence.
- Be able to identify the three components and four qualities of Appreciative Intelligence.
- Understand steps one can take to identify and enhance your own Appreciative Intelligence for personal success.
- Apply Appreciative Intelligence concepts using Case Study and real-time examples.
THE ROLE OF CONSULTANT AS A CHANGE GUIDE
As consultants, we serve as guides who provide technical expertise. Equally important is the support, inspiration, and encouragement that we offer as they embark on their change journey. By opening the doors of possibilities with appreciative questions and agreements that we make with ourselves and our clients, we can see the world through our client’s eyes and cultivate awareness.
- Become familiar with the Active Change Model and the importance of actively practicing personal change.
PART 2: SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS & APPLICATION
Part 2 of the AIPT will advance application skills by including Subject Matter Experts and group discussion. Together, participants will experience an advanced community of practice where they can identify their personal strengths as AI practitioners, enhance their contracting skills, and expand their capacity to design and lead AI initiatives that result in accelerated, sustainable change with measurable outcomes.
In order to qualify for certification as an Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner with The Center for Appreciative Inquiry, each participant must:
- Actively participate and successfully complete the Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner Training (AIPT) in its entirety, including all online coursework.
- Participate in mentoring sessions. Three (3) mentoring sessions will be available to participants during the course.
- Write and submit a practicum (narrative) of your Appreciative Practitioner experience that is suitable for publication. This project report must demonstrate the participant’s deep understanding of the Breadth, Depth and Application of Appreciative Inquiry work.
- Complete the final AIPT evaluation.
All submitted practicums are reviewed by a panel of seasoned appreciative inquiry practitioners. At least one trainer from your AIPT will also be part of the panel that reviews your practicum. The Review Panel may contact you to engage in a conversation about your work once you have submitted your practicum. Typically, they will respond with questions, to deepen their and your shared understanding of AI. The practicum review is therefore a dialogical and interactive process.
Once certified, your Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner Certification lasts for 2 years and includes:
- An Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner Certification document for your records;
- Permission to use of the Center for Appreciative Inquiry Certification logo to embed on your website or include in your email signature;
- Exclusive access to content and events reserved only for certified AI Community Members.
- A free profile listing on our Appreciative Inquiry Directory for the duration of your certification. Learn more about the benefits of our AI Directory here.
- Certification in AIPT© is also a pre-requisite for the Center of Appreciative Inquiry’s Train-the-Trainer Certification course.