FACILITATE POSITIVE CHANGE USING APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY
Appreciative Inquiry (AI) is an energizing and inclusive process that fosters creativity through the art of positive inquiry. It builds new skills in individuals and groups, develops new leaders, encourages a culture of inquiry, and helps create shared vision and purpose by building on an organization’s core values and strengths.
The Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training (AIFT) is a foundational program designed to teach you how to facilitate the type of transformative change made possible through Appreciative Inquiry.
In addition to introducing the basic tenets of Appreciative Inquiry (e.g., principles, 5-Ds, and theory), the AIFT delves deeper by providing experiential exercises that will teach you how to work with core teams, define a topic of inquiry, craft generative questions, field test interview protocols, establish action items, and more.
“This training has allowed me to reconnect with the facilitator, partner and guide I want to be for my clients. I am leaving armed with new skills and an important reminder that how I “show up” in any given moment significantly influences the destiny of my work, and that of my clients.” – C. Brown
The AIFT consists of eight (8) modules within the four training segments. They are designed to guide you through the full range and depth of what it means to be an Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator.
DEFINE AI AND BUILD COMMUNITY
- Build community collaboratively in order to function in a strong learning community.
- Reflect on how you will build community in the future as an AI facilitator.
- Define appreciative inquiry.
- Develop a common understanding what appreciative inquiry is and how it is applied.
EXPERIENCE APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY
- Experience the five generic processes of appreciative inquiry as they apply to designing your learning within the AIFT.
UNCOVER THE POWER OF APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY
- Identify and ingrate key theory components of appreciative inquiry to support your foundations as an AI facilitator.
CREATE TOPICS OF INQUIRY AND INTERVIEW GUIDES
- Identify an affirmative topic for an inquiry and modify the generic interview guide.
- Reflect on facilitator considerations.
KEY AI FACILITATION CONSIDERATIONS
- Assess and integrate key appreciative inquiry facilitation considerations.
- Learn about Core Teams and their role in the AI Process.
- Learn various forms of AI engagement.
GROUND APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY IN EVIDENCE
- Discover the research and evidence that underpins the work of appreciative inquiry and integrate these ideas into your facilitation toolkit.
LIVE AND FACILITATE APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY
- Integrate facilitator skills and knowledge and seek to clarify how you will process as an AI facilitator.
- Learn about the four clusters of competencies in developing emotional and social intelligence.
- Create a personal action plan around the topic of “being your best as a facilitator”.
CELEBRATE AND PRACTICUM INFORMATION
- Learn about the requirements needed to earn your Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Certification from The Center for Appreciative Inquiry.
- Utilize a checklist for designing and facilitating systems change.
There are no prerequisites to enroll and participate in this appreciative inquiry certification course.
In order to qualify for certification as an Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator with The Center for Appreciative Inquiry, each participant must:
- Actively participate in an Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training (AIFT).
- Design and facilitate an appreciative inquiry engagement for a team, organization, group, or community using the 5-D Appreciative Inquiry process. Your AIFT trainers serve as an advisor to you during your practicum – at no extra cost.
- Complete and submit a practicum (narrative) for review. Practicums demonstrate your understanding and application of Appreciative Inquiry by sharing your facilitation experience, learnings, insights, and outcomes.
All submitted practicums are reviewed by a panel of seasoned appreciative inquiry practitioners. At least one trainer from your AIFT will also be part of the panel that reviews your practicum. The Review Panel may contact you to engage in a conversation about your work once you have submitted your practicum. Typically, they will respond with questions, to deepen their and your shared understanding of AI. The practicum review is therefore a dialogical and interactive process.
Once certified, your Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Certification lasts for 2 years and includes:
- An Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Certification document for your records;
- Permission to use of the Center for Appreciative Inquiry Certification logo to embed on your website or include in your email signature;
- Exclusive access to content and events reserved only for certified AI Community Members.
- A free profile listing on our Appreciative Inquiry Directory for the duration of your certification. Learn more about the benefits of our AI Directory here.
ADDITIONAL COURSE INFORMATION:
The Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training (person, virtual, or hybrid) utilizes the textbook, Appreciative Inquiry: Change at the Speed of Imagination (2nd Edition) by Jane Magruder Watkins, Bernard Mohr, and Ralph Kelly.
This book is available in electronic or paperback versions. Please select the version that is in alignment with your learning style and preference. Click on the book cover image to learn more about the book and order your copy.
METHOD OF DELIVERY
The Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training (AIFT) can be delivered virtually, in-person, or in a hybrid format.
Do you have questions about this training? Please email your questions to Kelly Stewart at Kelly@CenterForAppreciativeInquiry.net.
WANT TO TRAIN YOUR TEAM?
Private AIFT sessions are available for groups and organizations who wish to train a large number of individuals in the art of appreciative inquiry facilitation. We encourage a minimum of eight (8) members from any organization, group, or community participate. Please complete the CONTACT US form to receive more information about hosting a private AI Facilitator Training for your group.