SUPPORT COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT WITH APPRECIATIVE INQUIRY
Appreciative Inquiry (AI) is a highly effective change model that supports community development efforts by inviting community members to engage in meaningful discussions that identify strengths, create shared visions, develop strategies, and inspire action for change.
AI’s inclusive design builds collective capacity by pooling the community’s knowledge, experience, and strengths in generating new opportunities. Through the art of positive inquiry, community members come together in a collaborative search for strengths, passions, values, and actions which facilitates citizen-driven actions and change. Drawing on these strengths, AI empowers communities and its citizens to chart a path to turn their vision into reality.
Learn how Appreciative Inquiry can renew energy and hope and inspire action in communities you belong to, work with, and serve.
After completing Activating Citizen-Driven Communities with Appreciative Inquiry, you will be better able to:
- Understand how Appreciative Inquiry (AI) and strengths/asset-based approaches can be applied to community development work.
- Confidently question and challenge deficit-based community development practice and introduce strengths-based, Appreciative Inquiry approaches to foster citizen driven communities.
- Identify and appreciate assets and strengths and elicit positive stories to discover what strong in our communities.
- Formulate and ask powerful, positive, and generative questions.
- Intentionally seek new ways of understanding, defining, labelling, and interacting with people and groups we work with.
- Apply AI tools and practices for community conversations, engagement, and planning.
- Positively impact their organization by introducing concepts and practices that enhance the capacity of staff to work more effectively with communities.
This course consists of four (4) virtual sessions that will provide key insights, learnings, and tools that you can apply in your community development work.
“The interactive activities and thought-provoking discussions encourage participants to think critically and apply concepts in practical scenarios. Her success in achieving valuable insights from participants is undoubtedly attributed to her approach, passion, and knowledge.” – Anna Pijaca (Research and Engagement Manager | City Experience and Engagement, Local Council).
Click the title of each session below to display the topics that will be covered during that session.
TOPICS COVERED DURING SESSION 1:
- An Appreciative approach to community development.
- The Paradigm Shift: Traditional/Deficit approach Vs. Appreciative/Asset Based Community Development approach.
- AI principles – Guiding our work with communities.
- How we see our Communities (Psychological theories -The Pygmalion Effect, Heliotropic Effect in the Context of Working with Marginalised/Disenfranchised/Disadvantaged communities).
TOPICS COVERED DURING SESSION 2:
- Flip the Script: Reframing Problems to Create Possibilities/Opportunities.
- Words Create Communities – the Power of Language & Words in creating Thriving Communities.
- Shifting Perceptions:
- Challenging Negative/Derogatory labels.
- Cultivating Stories and Successes.
TOPICS COVERED DURING SESSION 3:
- Discovering Strengths & Assets: Igniting Sparks in People & Communities.
- Appreciative Inquiry Questions & Conversations: formulating and articulating generative and positive questions.
- Soliciting Positive Stories and Finding Out What Works.
TOPICS COVERED DURING SESSION 4:
- Community Consultations and Conversations: Applying an Appreciative Inquiry approach for Citizen-Centered outcomes.
- AI 5D cycle for implementing community actions, plans, and change.
- Open Space Technology: highly participatory, inclusive, and collaborative method for large group/community meetings.
- Commitment Wall.
This course is ideal for:
- Community development, engagement, and consultation workers and practitioners.
- Individuals that work with specific community groups (e.g., youth, family support, seniors).
- Students and graduates interested in working in community.
- Entrepreneurs and organizations interested in their social impact, creating a community footprint, and supporting their communities.
- Anyone who volunteers, works with, or serves the community in some capacity to improve the development and capacity of communities.
PROGRAM OFFERED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH:
WANT TO TRAIN A TEAM OR GROUP?
This course can be delivered for groups and organizations who wish to train a large number of individuals who wish to support their community development efforts with appreciative inquiry. Please complete the CONTACT US form to receive more information about hosting a private course for your group.